Cinnaminson, NJ, April 25th, 2016
With the return of spring and warmer weather, now is an excellent time to check the condition of a home or commercial property. Performing some preventive maintenance tasks now can help to ensure a property is in good condition to provide a safe, healthy and comfortable place for the coming months.
Preparing a property for spring and the upcoming sweltering summer temperatures could also help to increase the building’s energy efficiency and prevent costly repairs. Some of these same tasks could help prevent indoor environmental issues associated with mold and moisture, indoor allergens and other health and safety concerns.
Recommendations for preparing a property for the spring season include the following:
- Check smoke detectors and carbon monoxide sensors and change out the batteries.
- Change filters for the HVAC system and consider having the air conditioner checked by a qualified professional. Also inspect the air ducts for the buildup of dust and debris.
- Clean outdoor air conditioning components and clear vegetation from around the area.
- Remove leaves and obstructions from gutters and downspouts and ensure water is draining away from the building. Also check for any damage from past ice dams.
- Check the siding for any damage or areas that moisture could enter and repair cracks in concrete, stucco or asphalt.
- Check for any damage to the chimney, vents and roof and be sure there are no leaks around skylights.
- Check windows and doors for drafts and be sure they are properly sealed. Inspect and replace any worn weather stripping.
- Consider having the clothes dryer vent professionally cleaned and inspect the washing machine water supply hoses. Draining some types of water heaters can also help to remove sediment that may have built up.
- Check indoor and outdoor faucets and plumbing for any leaks.
- Trim trees that could cause damage to the property with broken limbs.
“Being proactive with preventive maintenance and inspecting a property for signs of damage and water infiltration can prolong the life of the property and help to ensure a healthy indoor environment for everyone,” said Joe Frasca, Senior Vice President of Marketing at EMSL Analytical, Inc. “People who suspect they may have indoor environmental issues in their home, school or place of business can turn to EMSL for analytical services, sampling supplies and easy-to-use test kits. These services identify allergens, irritants, particulates, microbial pathogens, chemicals, radon, lead, asbestos and a wide range of other indoor pollutants.”
EMSL also recently sponsored a video with spring maintenance tips for a healthy home that can be seen at: https://youtu.be/-mEiNk1bRZI
To learn more about indoor environmental testing services or other occupational, health and safety services, please visit www.EMSL.com
, call (800) 220-3675 or email info@EMSL.com
. To view the complete line of indoor environmental test kits visit www.EMSLTestKits.com
.About EMSL Analytical, Inc.
EMSL Analytical is a nationally recognized and locally focused provider of environmental, indoor air quality, consumer product and materials testing services and products for professionals and the general public. The company has an extensive list of accreditations from leading organizations as well as state and federal regulating bodies.