Cinnaminson, NJ, June 13th, 2016
With hot summer temperatures impacting many parts of North America, millions of people have their air conditioners running in their homes and offices. A properly functioning central air conditioner provides a comfortable indoor environment for building occupants and depending on where they live, air conditioning could be an absolute necessity this time of year.
Maintaining the air conditioner is an important step to ensure it works properly, efficiently and provides good indoor air quality (IAQ). In addition to providing cool air and ventilation, air conditioners help to remove excessive humidity from the air which can help prevent the growth of mold and the presence of dust mites. Most air conditioners also have air filters that depending on the quality of the filtration can help to remove particulates, mold, allergens and respiratory irritants from the air people breathe.
Routine maintenance of an air conditioning system is important and some tasks can be handled by property owners and tenants while other tasks may require the services of a professional. Basic maintenance tips include the following with the power shut off to the unit:
- Remove debris and plant growth from around and inside of the exterior condenser
- Clean the fins and outdoor unit, but do not use a pressure washer to prevent damage
- Look for bent or damaged fins and have them straightened
- Check to determine if any excessive settling has occurred
- Check for damage and wear, and clean the evaporator coil
- Inspect and clean the condensation drain
- Replace old air filters including those units with an outdoor air intake filter
- Inspect duct work for signs of debris, contamination and obvious leaks
- Checking airflow, thermostat accuracy and the amount of refrigerant or if there are any refrigerant leaks is often best handled by a qualified professional
“For people with concerns about the quality of the air coming from their air conditioner, there are tests available that can identify everything from volatile organic compounds and other chemicals to mold, asbestos, irritants and potential asthma triggers,” said Joe Frasca, Senior Vice President of Marketing at EMSL Analytical, Inc. “If testing finds an issue, corrective measures can then be implemented to improve the air quality.”
EMSL offers all of the sampling supplies, testing equipment, analytical services and even consumer-friendly test kits. They also recently sponsored a video about air conditioner preventive maintenance and indoor air quality that can be seen at: https://youtu.be/_7g32k_0mA0.
To learn more about indoor environmental testing services or other occupational, health and safety services, please visit www.EMSL.com, call (800) 220-3675 or email info@EMSL.com. To view the complete line of indoor environmental test kits visit www.EMSLTestKits.com.
About EMSL Analytical, Inc.
EMSL Analytical is a nationally recognized and locally focused provider of environmental, indoor air quality, consumer product and materials testing services and products for professionals and the general public. The company has an extensive list of accreditations from leading organizations as well as state and federal regulating bodies.