SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) by qPCR - SAMPLING INSTRUCTIONS
Wearing appropriate personnel protective equipment (PPE):
- Remove swab from the transport container by unscrewing the cap. The swab will be attached to the bottom of the cap.
- Lightly tap the swab tip to the inside of the transport container to remove excess transport medium (liquid).
- Use swab to sample surface areas of interest (25 cm2 is commonly used but a specified area is not required). Swab with moderate pressure while moving in at least two different directions and rotating the swab so that the entire swab surface area is used. Avoid letting the swab dry completely.
- Immediately after sampling, place the swab back into the transport container and screw the cap on tightly.
- Wipe the outside of transport container with an alcohol wipe and label the outside of the container with unique sample identifiers that will match the Chain-Of-Custody (COC) to be submitted.
- We recommend a field blank (control sample) also be submitted on every project. The control swab must be handled the same way as the environmental samples: In the work area, open the package and remove the swab from the tube, but do not swab any surfaces. Then, place back into transport container.
- Place all samples for your project in a clean Ziploc bag and seal tightly.
- Wipe down the Ziploc bag with an alcohol wipe and place inside another clean Ziploc bag and seal (the samples are now double-bagged).
- Perform a final wipe down of the exterior Ziploc bag with an alcohol wipe.
- Fill out the EMSL SARS-CoV-2 COC form and place inside of a separate Ziploc bag.
- Pack samples well so they are not damaged during shipping. Samples must be wrapped with and shipped with an ice-pack. Bubble wrap is commonly utilized inside of a padded cooler.
- Write on the outside of the shipping container so that it is clear/readable: TEST CODE M330 - PCR LAB ONLY
- We recommend shipping samples on the same day as collected. If unable to ship on the same day as collected, samples may be refrigerated up to 72 hours.
- Samples must be shipped using 'Priority' overnight delivery. EMSL offers free FedEx Priority Overnight shipping for existing customers via LABConnectTM.
- All SARS-CoV-2 samples must be shipped to the following address. (NOTE: Samples can ONLY be received Monday through Friday):
EMSL Analytical, Inc.
**TEST CODE M330 - PCR LAB ONLY**
200 Route 130 North
Cinnaminson, NJ, 08077
16. Any samples arriving improperly shipped, damaged, or leaking will be rejected, not processed and